- explains rapid HIV testing technologies;
- describes the status of rapid HIV test kits in Canada;
- presents an overview of the Canadian regulatory framework applicable to the approval and use of rapid test kits;
- provides a comprehensive evaluation of the potential benefits of making rapid HIV testing at the point of care available in Canada;
- discusses some of the concerns raised by point-of-care use of rapid HIV screening tests, including potential misuses;
- considers how, in light of the potential benefits and the concerns raised, rapid HIV screening tests should be regulated; and
- presents conclusions and recommendations regarding the use of rapid tests in Canada, directed to federal and provincial/territorial policymakers, health-care professionals, professional associations and regulatory bodies of health-care professionals, and those providing HIV testing and counseling and working in the field of public health.